Friday, September 17, 2004

Colonel Staudt Speaks out

Retired Colonel Walter Staudt, the man who is cited in the forged memos displayed by CBS News, defended by Dan Rather and used in a TV ad by the Democrats as having put pressure on Lt. Col. Killian to “sugarcoat” the President’s Guard Service has finally spoken out. He told ABC News in an exclusive interview that he decided to speak out after seeing “erroneous” reports on television. He stated that he was the man that interviewed the President for the National Guard and that there was no political pressure applied or used to get him in:

"He didn't use political influence to get into the Air National Guard," Staudt said, adding, "I don't know how they would know that, because I was the one who did it and I was the one who was there and I didn't talk to any of them."

He also said that he never pressured anybody to “sugarcoat” the President’s service, because he did not have to:

"He was highly qualified," he said. "He passed all the scrutiny and tests he was given."
Staudt said he never tried to influence Killian or other Guardsmen, and added that he never came under any pressure himself to accept Bush. "No one called me about taking George Bush into the Air National Guard," he said. "It was my decision. I swore him in. I never heard anything from anybody."

So now what Dan? Now will you admit the memos are fake?


Be sure to check the current posts for updates.